Friday, September 26, 2008

Chaparral Middle School

I attended CMS- 17 years... gee whiz, that number makes it seem like ions ago. And a couple of weeks ago I ran into one of my favorite, most inspiring teachers... Mr. Kent. He asked that I come visit him-- what an invitation! I was honored to be given such an invite!! I couldn't wait to bring Jack and check out the campus and meet his Student Government Class.

Jack is scared to death of Mr. Kent-- just like most of his students. He has a fabulous sense of humor and he can be a tough cookie-- but thats what makes him so wonderful. Mr. Kent is also 6'8" and to Jack he must be a real life giant. Poor kid would throw himself on the floor like a dead dog when Mr. Kent got too close to him.

We spent the afternoon being Junior Highschoolers... and Jack was of course the hit of the party. The kids loved playing with him and were so incredibly kind to him. He loved all the attention.



During class Jack felt the need to explore the classroom, go through anything he could find in his reach, and rip pictures off the walls. My little destroyer in action. Then he peacefully sat in the center of the class (with all eyes on him) going through my wallet and sharing my credit cards with those around him. So thoughtful of him!


My favorite line of the day came from a very sweet young man who asked me when I graduated High School. I told him I graduated in 1997--- he told me that was the year he was born. Oh Lordy! When did I get to be so old????

Mr. Kent would love for Jack and I to come back and visit again.... we had lots of fun!!! But I have to say-- I would never like to go back and be in middle school again.... OY! Those awkward ugly years! How did I ever survive?? I saw a picture of myself and it was horrifying.


No comments: